Stringhopper / Idiyappam in any form, is always delicious and it is perfect for breakfast as it is steamed. I have already posted Stuffed sweet idiyappam and Sevai (SouthIndian rice noodles). This is one another version made with jaggery syrup and its simple to prepare, healthy and delicious.
Raw Rice flour – 200 gms
Jaggery – 200 gms
Water – 1 cup (approx)
Salt – a pinch
Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder- 1/2 tsp
- Fry the raw rice flour in a pan until its hot to touch. Transfer it to a plate and keep aside.
- In a pan, add the jaggery pieces, 1/4 cup water and melt it (No need sting consistency. Just melt it). Add remaining 3/4th cup of water to the hot syrup. This hot jaggery water is used to prepare the idiyappam/string hopper dough. (Strain the jaggery water to remove impurities)
- In a bowl add the roasted rawrice flour, a pinch of salt and the hot jaggery water. Mix them well when the jaggery water is hot. The raw rice flour should form a dough. Cover the dough and keep.
- Fill the dough in the idiyappam/stringhopper press and press it in the idiyappam plates while the dough is hot enough (or else it will be difficult to press).
- Fill all the plates and arrange it in the idiyappam stand.
- Now place the stand in the steamer and steam for about 5 to 7 mins.
- Once done, remove the plates and let it rest for about 2 mins. Then remove the stringhopper by just inverting the plate.
- Prepare the idiyappams in the same way with the rest of the dough.
- Mix the grated coconut and cardamom powder.
- Sprinkle the coconut mixture over the idiyappam and serve.
Enjoy the yummy and healthy Jaggery string hopper 🙂
- The quantity of jaggery I have mentioned gives normal sweetness to the idiyappams, if you wish to have more sweeter idiyappams, you can sprinkle sugar or jaggery powder while serving.