SouthIndian rice noodles is one of the best, healthy and delicious breakfast. This is known as Sevai in Tamil. Steamed rice noodles served with sweetened coconut milk and roasted sesame powder tastes heavenly and good for health. This is the usual way we have this sevai at our house. This rice noodles can also be used to prepare other dishes like lemon sevai, coconut sevai.
Already I have posted Stuffed Sweet Idiyappam in my blog. There,the riceflour is made to a dough with hot water and it is pressed into thin strings with idiyappam press and then they are steamed.For making Sevai, parboiled rice is made into paste which are then steamed and pressed into thin strings using Sevai press.
Both the recipes uses same ingredients but the outcome of both the methods, taste slightly different.
Though preparing Sevai is a difficult back-breaking job, but the outcome of the freshly pressed rice noodles tastes great when compared to the instant rice noodles that we get in market.
For Sevai preparation:
Par boiled rice – 400 gms
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Water – as required
Coconut milk – 3 to 4 cups
Sugar – 2 cups approx (as required)
Black sesame seeds – 25 gms
Preparation of Sevai using Sevai press:
- Soak the par boiled rice for 2 hrs.
- Add little salt in the batter.
- The batter should be watery otherwise the sevai would be hard.
- Make idlis using this batter (Similar to the regular idlis using an idli steamer) for 5 to 8 mins. If it is sticky, it means that the idlis need more cooking. If the idlis are over cooked, the sevai will not be soft. So be little cautious..
- Use the hand press as shown in the picture.
- Place 3 to 4 idlis at a time and start rotating the handles of the press.
- Press the idlis while hot otherwise, its difficult to rotate the handles of the press.
- Soft sevai starts to come out.
Preparation of Sesameseeds powder:
- Dry roast the black sesame seeds and cool them completely.
- Grind them into a fine powder and keep them aside.
Preparation of sweetened coconut milk:
- Extract coconut milk from a full coconut.
- Add required amount of sugar to it and mix well. Keep this aside.
Now serve Rice noodles with sweetened coconut milk and and sprinkle little sesame powder over it.