“Yam / Elephantfoot yam” It is said as Senai kizhangu in tamil. It is one of the vegetable that I like most. Some people doesn’t like yam as it may cause itchy feeling. But the fact is choosing perfect yam from market and properly cooked one does not cause any discomfort. It has numerous health benifits too. This is such an simple and tasty dish that is made only using curry powder as main ingredient.
Elephantfoot Yam – 1/2 kg
Homemade curry powder – 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – for shallow fry
Water – 1/4 cup (approx)
- Peel the yam to remove the bark-like skin and cut into thin slices. Wash the yam slices.
- In a cooker, add the washed and peeled yam.
- Along with it, add homemade curry powder and salt to taste.
- Add little water to the yam and mix it very well so that the curry powder and salt coats in yam very well.
- Sprinkle some extra water(about 1 tbsp water) and close the lid of the cooker. Sprinkling water avoids burning of yam.
- Cook the yam in low flame for 5 mins.
- The cooked yam should be soft and retain its shape but it should not be mushy.
- Allow the cooked yam to cool completely.
- Now, heat 1 or 2 tbsp of oil in a kadai.
- Add 5 to 6 yam pieces once and fry till crisp. Donot crowd the oil. Fry it in batches.
- Simple and tasty yam fry is ready to be served.