Most of us will have an aversion towards bittergourd but this recipe will definitely change our attitude towards it. This stir fry involves very less ingredients without any masalas. In this recipe, I used the bittergourd as it is and did not do any pre-preparations to remove its bitterness.The final addition of jaggery powder / Sugar gives an extra punch to the stir fry as well as reduce the bitterness. This recipe is an amazing side dish for rice.
Refer here for other Side dish recipes for rice.
Bitter gourd – 200 gms
Onion – 2 nos
Green chilli – 2 nos
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Uradh dhal – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Sugar / Jaggery powder – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Water – 1/2 cup (approx)
- Cut the bittergourd into thin circles.
- Discard the seeds in it.
- In a kadai, heat oil and let the mustard seeds splutter and then add the uradh dhal.
- When uradh dhal turns golden, add the curry leaves and slit green chillies.
- Saute them for a minute and then add the chopped onions.
- Fry the onions till slight golden brown.
- Now add the thinly sliced bittergourd and required salt.
- Stir them well, then sprinkle little water over the mixture and close the kadai with a lid.
- Cook the bittergourd in a low flame till it turns soft and it turns light brown in color (Sprinkle water and stir at intervals to avoid burning the mixture) It takes around 8 to 10 mins.
- Finally add little sugar / jaggery powder and stir the mixture well till the sugar/jaggery powder caramelises.
- Bittergourd stir fry is now ready
- Try to get tender bittergourds as it has less seeds and tastes better than ripe ones.