Ven pongal is a popular south indian breakfast dish made with rice and moong dhal. This is also known as ghee pongal or khara pongal. Venpongal with sambar and coconut chutney is a perfect combination. I make this often as breakfast and rarely for dinner. My hubby likes this most.
Raw rice – 3/4 cup
Moong dhal – 1/4 cup
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Split uradh dhal – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Whole black pepper – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1 tsp
Ginger (grated) – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Cashew nuts – as needed
Ghee – 3 to 4 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Water – 2 1/2cups
Oil – 1 tbsp
- Rinse the raw rice and moong dhal together and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat oil and a tbsp of ghee (reserve the remaining ghee).
- Add the mustartd seeds and split uradh dhal and wait till mustard seed splutter.
- Then add the cumin seeds, asafoetida, grated ginger, whole black pepper, curry leaves and cashew nuts. Fry all these till a nice aroma arises.
- Now add the raw rice and moong dhal to the tempering along with 2 1/2 cups of water. Add salt to taste.
- Now close the lid if the cooker and cook for 20mins in simmer flame.
- After the pressure releases, add the remaining ghee to the pongal and mix well.
- Now the Venpongal is ready to be served with hot piping sambar and coconut chutney.
- You can also use crushed black pepper instead of whole one.
- Quantity of ghee can be adjusted as per your wish. The more the ghee, the more the richness and taste.