Spicy Lady’s finger / Okra / Vendakkai Stir fry is an easy recipe. Okra is a veggie that is commonly used in Indian cooking. This dish is slightly spicy when compared to ordinary Vendakkai poriyal. You can adjust the spice level according to your wish. I have used the all-purpose Homemade curry powder. It gives a good flavour to the dish.
We have to choose tender okras when buying from market. Tender ones tastes delicious and cooks faster.
Okra / Lady’s finger – 1/2 kg
Onion – 1 big
Tomato – 1
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Homemade curry powder – 1 heaped tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Uradh dhal – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
- In a heavy bottomed kadai, heat the oil and let the mustartd seeds splutter.
- Then add the uradh dhal and curry leaves.
- Mix in the onion and chopped coriander leaves and fry for 2 mins.
- Then add the chopped tomato and fry for a minute.
- Now, mix well the chopped okra / Lady’s finger with the onion tomato mixture.
- Add in the Homemade curry powder and salt.
- Fry the okra in low-medium flame till it shrinks in size.
- It may take around 10 to 12mins. Stir at frequent intervals to avoid sticking to the kadai.
- Spicy Okra stir fry is ready.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it with sambar rice, mor kulambu or any mild gravy.