Homemade curry powder is an all purpose powder which can be used for both vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes.
It gives an wonderful flavour to the dish. This powder can be prepared in a large quantity such as half or one kg and can be stored in airtight container.So that it flavour retains for a longer time. This preparation mentioned here is my Ammas recipe. This Curry powder can be used to prepare Mutton kulambu, Lunch sambar, Puli kulambu varieties, Fish kulambu and Prawn thokku and many other dishes.
Dry chilli-1/2 kg
Coriander seeds – 1/2kg
Channa dhal – 100 grams
Toor dhal -100 grams
Cumin seeds- 100 grams
Black pepper – 50 grams
Boiled ponni rice -100 grams
Curryleaves – 10 to 15 sprigs
- Red chilli and coriander seeds can be dried under sunlight. If not enough sunlight, can dry roast it seperately in kadai in batches
- Dry roast all other inredients seperately i.e., channa dhal, toor dhal, cumin seeds,back pepper, rice and curry leaves
- Dry roast individually till nice aroma arises from each of the ingredients.
- Roast the curryleaves such that there is no moisture in it. Moisture spoils the powder when stored.
- Then finally mix all the ingredients and allow to cool to room temperature
- This mixture can be given to flour mill for grinding to get a fine powder if done in large amounts
- If small quantity, Mixie Can be used but the powder wil not be as fine as that given to mill
- After grinding, the powder wil be Little hot. So, allowit to cool to room ttemperature.
- Then store it in a airtight container.