Dalia / Cracked wheat upma is a nourishing breakfast and its filling one. Its rich in fiber and considered as a low fat diet too. Though ordinary rava upma tends to be a boring dish for most of the people, this is an interesting and healthy version to try it out. It is also said to be good for diabetic patients.
I have used broken Samba wheat (a wheat variety). This is known as Godhumai ravai/Samba ravai in Tamil. You can use any broken wheat variety. Usually I prepare this recipe without any veggies within minutes for a busy morning but can add veggies like carrots, green peas which makes it more healthier.
Broken wheat – 1 cup
Onion – 1
Ginger – 1 tsp (finely chopped)
Green chilli – 1 no
Dry red chilli – 1 no
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Uradh dhal – 1/2 tsp
Groundnut oil – 1 tbsp
Salt- to taste
Water – 2 3/4 cups
- Dry roast the broken wheat rava for 2 to 3 mins until nice aroma arises and keep aside
- In a cooker, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and uradh dhal.
- Then add the finely chopped ginger and onions and saute for a minute.
- Now add the curry eaves and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Pour 2 and 3/4 cups of water to the mixture.
- When the water starts boiling, add the dry roasted broken wheat rava and mix well.
- Check for salt and close the lid of the cooker.
- Cook in high flame for 5 whistles and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with coconut chutney.
- This recipe can be prepared in a pan with same quantity of water by covering the pan with a lid in a simmer flame for about 10 mins.