Prawn is one of my favourite. Prawn thokku is a dish that my mom makes often and I love the flavour of the dish. It can be served as side dish for rice with any mild gravy.
Prawn – 1/2 kg
Onion – 4
Tomato – 2
Garlic cloves – 15 to 20 nos
Curry leaves – 2 sprig
Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp (chopped)
Homemade curry powder – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Split urad dhal – 1 tsp
Oil – 3 tbsp
Salt – to taste
- Wash well and devein the prawns. You can wash it with water containing turmeric powder and salt. It removes the smell.
- In a heavy bottomed kadai (I used indolium kadai), heat the oil , add the mustard seeds and uradh dhal.
- Add the curry leaves and finely chopped onions and fry tilll onion turns transparent. Mix in the coriander leaves now (reserve some for garnish).
- Add the garlic cloves and fry for 2 to 3 mins.
- Then mix in the finely chopped tomatoes and fry till mushy. Add salt to taste.
- Mix in the Homemade curry powder and turmeric powder at this stage and fry well.
- When oil starts seperating from the mixture add the cleaned prawns and mix well.
- Cook the prawns for about 5 to 7 mins in the onion tomato mixture until soft. Fry well till the mixture turns golden brown.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and curry leaves finally. Its ready to be served now.
- Do not forget to devein the prawns as it causes stomach problems.
- Do not overcook the prawns as it turns rubbery when overcooked.
- Fry the onion tomato mixture well till the oil seperates before adding the prawns. The more you fry the mixxture, the more the taste.