Dhal curry is a popular Indian dhal recipe. It is a mild curry made using toor dhal (Yellow lentils or Pigeon pea) which is also kid friendly. I love to have Dhal curry with rice and with a dash of ghee / sesame oil. This is the dhal recipe that I always make for rice. For chapathi / roti , I prepare slightly in a different way with split moong dhal (Refer here)
If you are looking for sidedishes for this mild curry, then do check:
To add in pressure cooker:
Toor dhal – 100 gms
Pearl onions – 7 to 8 nos
Tomato – 1 big
Green chilli – 2 nos
Garlic cloves – 5 or 6 nos
Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Water – 2 cups
Salt – to taste
Sesame oil/ Ghee – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal – 1/2 tsp
Dry red chilli – 1 no
Pearl onion – 2 nos
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Add all the ingredients under”To add in pressure cooker” in cooker except salt.
- Cook for 3 to 4 whistles in a medium high flame.
- After its done, heat sesame oil in a seperate kadai and add the items under “For tempering” one by one.
- Fry the pearl onions till it turns golden brown.
- Mix in the tempered items to the cooked dhal mixture and add salt to taste.
- Serve dhal curry with piping hot rice.
- Spice level can be adjusted as per your wish. Since its a mild curry, I used medium spice only.