Ulundhu kali / Uradh dhal halwa is one of the authentic South Indian recipes. Black uradh dhal has high protien, iron and low in fat. Gingelly or Sesame oil also has good fat and helps in reducing cholestrol. This Ulundhu kali can be taken as breakfast or as brunch. Its an energy providing dish particularly given for woman to strengthen their bones. During my childhood, I used to have this kali often with lots of gingelly oil in it. The flavour of gingelly oil on hot Ulundhu kali is always awesome 🙂
I make this Ulundhu kali weekly once as breakfast and my hubby loves it most. I always roast and grind this Black uradh dhal powder on the day I want to make kali. The freshly ground powder has more flavour.
You can also prepare this Black uradh dhal powder in large quantity and store it in airtight container. When preparing kali, you can mix it with the particular quantity of Rawrice flour.
This measurement serves 2 people.
Black uradh dhal – 1/2 cup
Raw Rice flour- 3/4 cup
Palm jaggery syrup – 1/2 cup
Water – 2 cups (approx)
Sesame oil – 1/4 cup
- Dry roast the black uradh dhal until flavour arises.
- Let it cool to room temperature and grind it into fine powder using mixie/coffee grinder.
- Mix well the Rawrice flour with the uradh dhal powder.
- In a heavy bottomed pan (before switching on the flame), add the Rawriceflour+uradh dhal powder mixture along with 1/2 cup palm jaggery syrup and water.
- The mixture should be neither thick nor too watery. Mix well without any lumps and now switch on the flame.
- Stir the mixture continuously till it reaches a halwa like consistency. Pour the sesame oil little by little and stir it.
- Once the mixture is cooked well (leaves the sides of the pan), switch off the flame.
- Now make smooth balls of ulundhu kali and enjoy with extra sesame oil as per your wish.
- You can use both split and whole black uradh dhal.
- I always use Black uradh dhal as it is more healthier than white uradh dhal. It can also be prepared using white uradh dhal.
3 thoughts on “Ulundhu kali”
Love this kali ! Haven’t eaten this in a long long time ! Will try and make this soon… thanks for the sharing this recipe:)
LikeLiked by 1 person
Pl do try and hope you like it. Thank you for stopping by and your comments.