Radish with prawn is an awesome combo. I usually make prawn masala (Refer recipe here). I had this recipe in my To do list for a long time. So I made this curry this time and it turned out perfect. My mom makes this curry and I love it. This curry goes well with rice, idli / dosa and rotis.
For more Non-vegetarian recipes, refer here
Prawn – 1/4 kg
Radish – 100gms
Shallots – 10 nos
Tomato – 2 nos
Tamarind pulp – 1/4 cup
Homemade curry powder – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Uradh dhal – 1/2 tsp
Methi seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Water – 2 cups (approx)
Groundnut oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
- De-vein the prawns and rinse well with turmeric powder and salt. Keep it aside.
- Slice the radish into thin circles and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add the uradh dhal.
- When uradh dhal turns golden, add the methi seeds and cumin seeds.
- Now throw in the curry leaves and shallots.
- Fry the shallots till transparent and then add the chopped tomatoes.
- Fry till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the radish slices and the cleaned prawns at this stage and mix well.
- Now add the turmeric powder, homemade curry powder and tamarind pulp and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- Pour 2 cups of water to the mixture and allow it to boil for about 5 mins so that the prawn and radish gets cooked well.
- Once the gravy starts to thicken, add required salt and check for spiciness (add curry powder if needed and then boil for few more mins).
- Now Prawn radish curry is ready.
- Do not forget to devein the prawns as it causes stomach related problems.
- Slice the radish into thin circles so that it gets cooked easily. Thick slices of radish takes time to cook, which in turn leads to rubbery prawn.