Snake gourd kootu is a authentic side dish in South Indian cuisine. It is made with moong lentils. Any puli kulambu or Kara kulambu (Wil post these recipes soon) with this snake gourd kootu is a perfect combo. It can be had simply with rice and ghee.
Snake gourd / pudalangai – 250gms
Split moong dhal – 2 tbsp
Onion – 1
Green chilli – 2nos
Coconut grated – 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1tsp
Uradh dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Water – 1/2 cup
- Grind the grated coconut, cumin seeds and green chilli to a paste and keep aside
- In a cooker, heat oil and add the mustard seeds and uradh dhal together and wait till it splutters.
- Now add the curry leaves and onion and fry for a minute
- Add the chopped snake gourd / pudalangai and split moong dhal and mix well. Add salt to taste.
- Now close the cooker and allow to cook for 2 whistles in a high flame. Now the snake gourd will be cooked soft.
- Add the ground coconut +cumin seeds+greenchilli paste to the snake gourd.
- Add a tsp of turmeric powder at this stage.
- Allow this mixture to boil for a minute and switch off the flame.
- Now Snakegourd kootu is ready to be served with rice.