Lemon rice is an instant recipe that I try when I am bored of thinking the daily routine menu. It is an simple and tasty dish that is best for lunchbox.
Lemon – 2 nos
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Split urad dhal – 1 tsp
channa dhal – 1 tbsp
Green chilli – 1 no
Red chilli – 2 nos
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (chopped)
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Salt – to taste
Rice – 200 gms
Water – 2 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cook the rice seperately . Allow it to cool to room temperature and keep aside.
- Squeeze the lemon (discard the seeds) .Add turmeric powder and asafoetida in it and make a paste .keep it aside.
- In a kadai , heat the oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add split urad dhal, channa dhal and let it turn golden brown .
- Now add the green chilli, red chillies, finely chopped ginger,curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Add the lemon+turmeric+asafoetida paste and 2 tbsp water to the kadai.
- Allow the mixture to boil till the raw flavour of turmeric and hing disappears ( for about a minute).
- Finally add the tempering mixture to the cooked rice and mix well. Add salt to taste.
- Lemon rice is now ready to be served.
- Donot boil the tempering mixture for a long time after adding the lemon paste. It turns the lemon rice to be bitter.
- Check the salt and add finally as you would have added earlier while cooking rice.