Pongal is one among the Traditional festivals of Tamilnadu which is celebrated as a thanksgiving festival to Sun god. This Sakkarai Pongal / Sweet pongal is an festive sweet that is mostly offered as neivedhyam to God during the Pongal festival.
Not only I make this recipe for Pongal festival but also whenever we crave for it😋. Here I have added milk to cook rice instead of water which gives a rich flavour to the dish. Uradh dhal vada/Medhu vada is a perfect combo with this sweet Pongal.
Do check the links for other Pongal recipes
Raw rice – 3/4 cup
Moong dhal – 1/4 cup
Milk – 1 1/2 cups
Jaggery – 250 gms
Water – 1/2 cup (to make jaggery syrup)
Cardamom – 5 nos
Cashew nuts – 2 tbsp
Raisins – 1 tbsp
Ghee – 4 to 5 tbsp
- Rinse well both the raw rice and moong dhal together and keep it aside.
- In a cooker, heat a tbsp of ghee and add the crushed cardamom, cashew nuts and raisins.
- Fry till flavour arises.
- Now add the rinsed raw rice and moongdhal mixture and fry for 2mins.
- Then pour 1 1/2 cups of milk, give a quick stir and close the lid of the cooker.
- Cook in simmer flame for about 20 mins.
- Once done, open the lid and roughly mash the cooked rice moongdhal mixture with a laddle. Keep this aside.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, add the jaggery pieces with 1/2 cup of water and melt it. No need string consistency, just melt and strain it to remove impurities.
- Now pour the strained hot jaggery syrup to the cooked rice mixture and mix well so that the rice, moondhal and jaggery syrup mixes well.
- Finally add 3 to 4 tbsp of ghee, mix well and serve warm.
- Sakkarai pongal or sweet pongal is ready to be served.
- I have used Paagu vellam ( a type of Jaggery) which is slightly in reddish in colour than yellow. But you can use any type of Jaggery according to your availability.
- You can replace milk with water / add half milk and half water mixture. Adding milk provides additional richness and the Pongal tastes yummy.
- Switch of the flame, when the Pongal is in semi running consistency as It tends to get thicker when cooled.