Poori masala is the potato sidedish that goes very well with poori. Most Indian hotel serves poori with this masala. This masala can also be used to prepare masala dosa.
Potato – 250 gms
Onion – 2 (big)
Green chilli – 2 nos
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 tbsp
Asafoetida – 1 tsp
Chana dhal – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Split urad dhal – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Water – 1/2 cup (optional)
Salt – to taste
Refined oil – 2 tbsp
- Rinse and boil the potato in a cooker for 5 to 6 whistles.After it’s done, mash it and keep aside.
- In a kadai, heat the oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add the split urad dhal, fennel seeds and channa dhal. let it turn golden crown.
- Now add the ginger and asafoetida and fry for few seconds.
- Fry the finely chopped onion till transparent.
- Add the greenchillies, curry leaves and coriander leaves at this stage. Mix everything well.
- Its time to add the mashed potato to the kadai along with the turmeric powder.
- Mix everything well. add 1/2 cup of water to losen the mixture and allow it to boil for a minute in simmer flame. add salt to taste finally.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves. Serve along with poori.
- Do not mash the potatoes to a paste. Let there be some bits or pieces of potato.