Carrot halwa is a rich Indian dessert. This is made with carrot, milk and a generous amount of ghee. I made this recently for durga pooja festival.
Carrot – 1/2 kg ( 8 to 9 carrots)
Milk – 4 cups
Ghee – 4 to 5 tbsp
Cashews – 10 nos
Cloves – 2 nos
Sugar – 2 1/2 cups
- Peel and grate the carrots. you can also use chopper ( I used kenstar mini chopper)
- In a kadai , heat the milk. Add the grated carrots when the milk starts to boil.
- The carrots should cook well in the milk. This may take around 15 mins.
- Scrap the milk residue at the sides of the kadai and mix well with the carrot milk mixture.
- Before the milk completely evaporates from the mixture, add sugar and ghee.
- Mix well and cook till the milk completely evaporates.
- In a seperate pan, heat ghee. Add the cloves, green cardamom and cashew.
- Fry the cashews till golden brown and add this to the carrot milk mixture.
- Now the carrot halwa is ready to be served warm or chilled. It goes well with vanilla icecream.
- You can increase the amount of ghee as per ur wish. More ghee gives a richer taste.