Horsegram / Kollu (in Tamil) has lots of health benefits. Its rich in protein,iron and easy to digest. This legume is mostly suggested for weight loss. This one is given as animal feed but it is taken in the form of Kollu paruppu, Kollu rasam, Kollu sundal in southern parts of India especially in Tamilnadu.
I atleast prepare this dhal once or twice a month. It tastes divine with sesame oil and also great for health.
Redchilli – 1 no
To add in pressure cooker:
Horsegram dhal – 50 gms
Pearl onions – 7 to 8 nos
Tomato – 1 big
Green chilli – 2 nos
Garlic cloves – 5 or 6 nos
Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Water – 2 cups
Salt – to taste
Sesame oil/ Ghee – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal – 1/2 tsp
Dry red chilli – 1 no
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Dry roast the horsegramdhal until it starts to pop up.
- Allow it to cool and then rinse well with water to remove the dust completely.
- Now add the horsegramdhal and the remaining ingredients under the label “To add in pressure cooker” in cooker except salt.
- Cook for 5 minutes in high flame. Add enough water so that it does not get burnt.
- After the dhal mixture gets cooked, cool them completely. Cooked dhal must be soft but not mushy.
- Grind the cooled dhal mixture into a paste along with a redchilli.
- After its done, heat sesame oil in a seperate kadai and add the items under “For tempering” one by one.
- Mix in the tempered items to the cooked horsegramdhal mixture and add salt to taste.
- Serve horsegramdhal curry with piping hot rice.
- Horsegram may contain small stones or dust. Clean it before you dry roast it.
- If horsegramdhal is not cooked well, you can cook for few more whistles until soft.