Paniyaram is a south indian tiffin or a snack. The batter I usually use to make paniyaram is the same batter that we prepare for Aappam (Refer the Aappam post for the batter preparation). I prepare the batter in bulk once and make Aappam, Savoury paniyaram and Sweet paniyaram. Its a three in one batter. This batter gives a unique flavour than the idli batter. Here I have posted the savoury version. I love the savoury paniyaram than sweet ones. It can be served with Coconut chutney or Redchilli-garlic chutney.
Aappam batter – 2 cups
Onion – 1 big
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Uradh dhal – 1 tsp
Chana dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
Green chilli – 2 nos
Salt – to taste
Oil – as needed
Water – 1/2 cup (if needed)
- In a kadai, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds, uradh dhal and chana dhal. Let it turn golden brown.
- Then add the curry leaves, chopped onion, chopped green chillies and coriander leaves. Fry till the onion turns transparent.
- In a bowl, mix in the aappam batter and the tempered items together. Now the batter is ready for savoury version of paniyaram. Check salt and add if needed because the aappam batter already has salt.
- Heat the paniyaram kadai, add a drop of oil in each mould ( I use non-stick paniyaram kadai, so used less oil )
- Add a spoon full of batter in each mould and cook in a medium flame for 2 to 3 mins.
- Then flip the paniyaram with the wooden skewer on the other side and cook for 2 mins.
- Cook till golden brown. Smear oil if needed.
- Now flavourful savoury paniyaram is ready to be served with chitney of your choice.
- Add water to the paniyaram batter after adding the tempered mixture if too thick.
5 thoughts on “Savoury Paniyaram”
The January Share and Inspire Others! post released today: https://cookandenjoyrecipes.wordpress.com/2017/01/13/january-2017-share-and-inspire-others-appetizers/ Please promote by the latest 20th January, 2017. New theme for February will be announced on the 1st. Hope you will be able to participate again.
LikeLiked by 1 person