Plantain stir fry / Vazhakkai Podimas is a healthy and delicious dish. As it does not require much ingredients, it is easy to prepare. This is a mild spiced sidedish so I usually make this for tamarind based spicy gravies.
Raw banana – 2 medium sized
Onion – 1
Redchilli – 2 nos
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Uradh dhal – 1/2 tsp
Groundnut Oil – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Water – 4 cups approx ( to boil raw bananas )
- In a wide and deep bottomed pan, heat the water.
- Add the Rawbanana to the boiling water and allow it to cook for 5 to 8 mins. You can see the skin of raw banana getting darker.
- The Rawbanana should be half cooked and once you take it out of boiling water, you should be able to peel its skin easily.
- The banana should be soft but not mushy.
- Grate the skin peeled raw banana and keep it aside. ( Use grater with big holes)
- In a kadai or nonstick pan (nonstick works well ), heat oil and let the mustard seeds splutter
- Add the uradh dhal, let it turn golden brown and add curry leaves.
- Add in the red chillies and chopped onion in the kadai. Saute well.
- Mix in the grated, boiled rawbanana and fry in a low flame. Add salt to taste.
- Fry till the grated raw banana cooks well. It may take around 3 to 4 mins.
- Rawbanana stirfry is ready to be served as sidedish with sambar rice or with any spicy gravy.
- I have used groundnut oil here in this recipe. You can use any oil of you choice
- I prefer using groundnut oil or sesame oil than refined oil in most of my recipes.