Black uradh dhal or Black gram is a very healthy pulse. This porridge can be made using split/whole black uradh dhal.
Black gram / Black uradh dhal (split or whole) – 100 gms
Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
Green cardamom – 3 nos
Jaggery powder / Palm Jaggery powder – 150 gms
Water – 4 cups
- Soak the black gram for 4 hrs and rinse it.
- In a pressure cooker, add the soaked and rinsed black gram with 3 cups of water.Reserve the remaining cup of water and add finally if needed.
- Cook the black gram for 5 whistles in a high flame.
- After the pressure releases, check whether the pulse is cooked well. It should be mushy when we press it with spatula. If not cooked, allow for another 2 or 3 whistles.
- When the pulse is cooked well, add the jaggery powder , grated coconut.
- Add the remaining water if its too thick.
- And also the crushed cardamom pods.
- Now the sweet black gram porridge is ready .
- Soaking the black gram helps it to cook faster ( If not soaked, it takes around 15 to 20 whistles in a pressure cooker to cook)
- Instead of jaggery powder, you can add palm sugar syrup also. Sweetness can be adjusted according to taste