Chanadhal masala is a mild flavoured recipe that can be done in minutes. Chanadhal is used in our recipes mostly as one of the ingredients. This recipe uses chanadhal as a main ingredient. It can be had with any spicy gravy like Vathal kuzhambu , tamarind based spicy gravies and roti.
Chanadhal – 100gms
Onion – 1
Chayote / Chow-Chow – 1/2 cup (chopped)
Homemade curry powder – 1 tbsp
Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Uradh dhal – 1/2 tsp
Groundnut oil – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Water – 1 cup (approx)
- Rinse the chanadhal well.
- In a cooker, add the rinsed chana dhal, little salt, chopped onion and homemade curry powder.
- Pour 1 cup water and cook for about 5 to 7 mins in a medium to high flame.
- Cooked Dhal should be soft but not mushy.
- Once the chanadhal gets cooked, add the chopped chayote / chow-chow into the cooker and mix well.
- Now close the lid of the cooker and cook in high flame for just 1 whistle.
- Add the grated coconut to the masala and mix well.
- Finally temper the mustard seeds and urad dhal in groundnut oil.
- Mix in the tempered items to the chanadhal masala.
- Chanadhal masala is ready to be served
- Chayote / Chow-Chow can be replaced with Snakegourd or Bottle gourd.
- Soaking chanadhal for an hour reduces cooking time.