Jaggery chutney involves all the flavours with sweetness dominated.It has spiciness from red chilli, sourness from tamarind and then added salt. It tastes best when served with piping hot Idlis (Refer recipe here)
Uradh dhal – 3 tbsp
Coconut – 1/4 cup grated
Dry red chilli – 2 nos
Jaggery powder – 2 tbsp
Tamarind – small marble sized ball
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Uradh dhal – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Shallots – 3 nos
Groundnut oil – 1 tsp
- In a kadai, dry roast the uradh dhal to golden.
- Cool down completely.
- In a mixie jar, add the dry roasted dhal, chilli, grated coconut, jaggery powder, tamarind and little salt
- Grind these ingredients into a smooth paste and keep this aside.
- In a small pan, heat the oil and add the items for tempering one by one.Fry the shallots till golden brown.
- Add the tempered items to the ground mixture and mix well.
- Garnish the Jaggery chutney with some jaggery powder and serve.
- Sweetness can be adjusted as per your wish