A curry with sourness of raw mango and with the tinch of sweetness along with spice powder and salt. Mouthwatering?!!! Yes exactly, this curry make us drool. Its super delicious with steamed rice. You can serve this with idli/dosa too. Refer here for other recipes of Curry/Gravies for rice.
Raw Mango – 1 cup
Shallots – 5 nos
Garlic cloves – 7 nos
Tomato – 1 no
Tamarind pulp – 1/4 cup
Homemade Curry powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
Jaggery powder – 1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Uradh dhal – 1/2 tsp
Methi seeds – 1/2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Sesame oil – 3 tbsp
Water – 2 cups (approx)
- Chop the raw mango into cubes with skin.
- In a kadai, heat sesame oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add uradh dhal and methi seeds.
- Once the flavor arises, add the curry leaves, garlic cloves and shallots.
- Saute them all together till the onion turns transparent.
- Now add the tomato, saute them for a minute and then throw in the chopped rawmango pieces and fry them for a minute or two.
- Add homemade curry powder mix them well.
- Pour the tamarind pulp and add the required salt.
- Let this mixture cook in simmer flame till the oil releases from the mixture.
- Now pour 2 cups of water to the mixture and allow it to boil in high flame for about 5 to 7 mins.
- Allow the raw mango to cook in the mixture till it turns soft. The consistency is that, you must be able to cut the raw mango pieces with the spoon easily along with its skin.
- The gravy also turns thick when done.
- Add the jaggery powder, a tsp of sesame oil. Mix them well and switch off the flame.
- Delicious Raw mango curry is ready to be served with rice.
- Be cautious while adding tamarind pulp as the raw mango also provides some sourness to the curry. You can adjust the quantity of tamarind pulp according to your taste.
- Adding Sesame oil finally enhances the flavor of the curry. So do not avoid it.
- I have used Totapuri Raw mango ( ‘Kili mooku Manga’ in Tamil) variety. You can use any variety other than the raw mago variety that is used for making pickles because pickle variety mango is more sour and it will not be suitable for making curries/gravies.