A SouthIndian coconut based masala along with this Rajma / Kidney beans makes it more healthy and flavorful. This rajma masala goes well as a Side dish for rice along with mild spiced gravy like Morkulambu / Buttermilk gravy, Tomato sambar, Sambar .
Dry red Rajma – 100 gms
Onion – 1
Tomato – 1
Curry leaves -1 sprig
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
Cloves – 2 nos
Cinnamon – 2 inch piece (2 nos)
Oil- 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
Water – 1/2 cup(approx)
Coconut (grated) – 1 cup
Dry red chillies – 3 nos
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Soak the dry red rajma overnight for about 6 to 8 hrs.
- Cook the soaked rajma in pressure cooker with little salt and water for about 5 to 8 mins in a high flame.
- Once done, keep the cooked rajma aside. Reserve the water used for cooking rajma.
- In a kadai, heat oil and add cloves, cinnamon.
- Once flavor arises, throw in the curry leaves, some coriander leaves and chopped onion.
- Fry till onion turns transparent.
- Then add tomato and fry till it turns soft.
- Grind all the ingredients under “For grinding” into a fine paste and add it to the mixture in the kadai.
- Cook till the raw smell of the ground paste goes away. It may take around 5 mins.
- Then add the cooked rajma to the mixture in the kadai and mix well.
- Cook in simmer for few mins and switch of the flame. If you feel the masala is too dry, you can add the reserved rajma cooked water and loosen the mixture.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.