Potato podimas is the mashed potato seasoned with SouthIndian spices. This podimas is one of the regular recipes in the wedding feast menu in our native place. They are simple to prepare and taste good. This recipe would be a favourite for one who doesn’t like much masalas. Potato podimas goes well with any spicy or tangy gravies with rice. It can also be served as a Sidedish for rice with Methi leaves curry, Vathal Kulambu, kara kulambu and also with sambar.
Potato – 3 nos
Onion – 1 no
Green chilli – 3 nos
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp
Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – to taste
- Boil the potatoes and peel the skin. Then mash it and keep aside (Donot mash too much, it fine to be some bits and pieces)
- In a heavy bottomed kadai, heat oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Then add the uradh dhal.
- Once uradh dhal turns golden, add the fennel seeds.
- When aroma arises, throw in the curry and coriander leaves.
- Now add the chopped onion, chopped greenchillies and fry till transparent.
- Then mix the mashed potatoes to the mixture in the kadai. Add required salt.
- Fry them in a low flame for about 5 to 8 mins.
- Finally add the grated coconut and immediately switch off the flame.
- Simple and tasty potato podimas is ready.