Drumstick coconut curry is a simplest curry to prepare. Drumsticks are thin elongated fruits obtained from Moringa tree. They are tough on outside with fleshy pulp inside. You get a juicy flesh inside the drumsticks when cooked in flavoured coconut curry and it melts in the mouth.When eating the drumsticks, chew them, extract pulp while chewing, leaving the tough fibrous part.
Drumsticks are loaded with a lot of nutrients. This tree grows easily in India without much effort. The leaves of the tree are also used in cooking (Refer Drumstick leaves stirfry recipe). This curry can be served as a Sidedish for rice with any spicy curry.
Drumstick – 3 nos
Onion – 1
Tomato – 1 (small sized)
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Water – 1 cup
Coconut – 1 cup (grated)
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Green chilli – 3 nos
Water – as required ( to grind into smooth paste)
- Wash the drumstick and chop into 2 inch pieces.
- Grind all the ingredients under “For grinding” into a smooth paste. Keep this aside.
- In a cooker, heat oil and let the mustard seeds splutter. Add the uradh dhal and let it turn golden.
- Now add in the chopped onion, curry leaves, coriander leaves and fry them till onion turns transparent.
- Now add chopped tomato and fry for a minute and then throw in the chopped drumstick pieces and fry for 2 mins.
- The ground coconut paste is added now to the drumstick mixture along with a cup of water. Add required salt.
- Close the lid of the cooker and cook for 2 whistles in high flame.
- Now Juicy drumstick coconut curry is ready